POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Days of Thunder : Re: Days of Thunder Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Days of Thunder
From: clipka
Date: 4 Aug 2009 01:11:58
Message: <4a77c31e@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> (how stupid is this: You can't import from Outlook .pst files unless
>> Outlook is installed)
>
> Makes perfect sense when you realize Outlook is supplying the
> libraries to read and write its data structures. It's like complaining
> the database is stupid because you need the database manager to read
> the tables. :-) That's how Windows is designed - that's what
> "component" software is all about.
While I do understand why it makes sense technically, still it's stupid
from the usability point of view, as probably everyone who re-installed
Windows (carefully backing up the whole hard disk first), and then
decided to switch over from Outlook to TB in the process, will happily
confirm for sure.

Following your argument, Open Office couldn't possibly be expected to
read Microsoft Word documents without Word installed; now how stupid
would *that* be? :-P

>> So here we go - first newsgroup posting test with T'bird...
>
> Worked!
Great!

Now I wonder what happens if I reply in HTML format (and make full use
of some essential features like using *bold*, /italics/ or
_underline_...?) - especially how that will show up in the web interface.

(Speaking of which, I'm already pleased with how well-behaved the TB
mail editor seems to be regarding quoted lines in HTML-format replies.
Outlook really sucked at that.)

>> (Next thing on the agenda: Replace IE with Firefox...?)
>
> That works too, perhaps even easier.
Sure - there's not much to migrate there, and the favorites are
essentially links living in a special directory, so no proprietary
format involved.